Smart Home Investments: Deck Additions
Summer is a natural stress reducer. The snow melts, the sun shines, and the grass grows. You gaze across your yard and think “if only I could enjoy the outdoors at home”. Sound familiar? If so, this is where a deck addition becomes a hero.
Benefits of a Deck Addition
- More affordable than interior additions
- Great for hosting outdoors
- Potential for accessories
- Variety of materials and designs
- Average 75% return on investment at resale
- Compared to interior home improvement projects, deck additions hover at around half the cost per square foot. They add comfortable outdoor living space with enormous potential for customization, accessories, and special features like finishes and additional structures.
Placement & Size
Whether you plan to hire professional deck builders or build your deck addition yourself, here are a few things to consider as you plan the placement and size of your deck addition:
- Size of your yard
- Surface area of the deck
- Existing exterior doors
- Plans for accessories or additional structures
- Placing a deck and determining its size should not be done on a whim. A poorly planned deck addition is almost certain to lose return on investment value. Many deck builders have professional design experience and can assist you in planning the size and placement of a deck addition.
- Proper planning ensures a deck addition looks aesthetically pleasing and avoids more serious problems like structural instability. A deck shouldn’t crowd out your yard, but most homeowners want as much outdoor living space as possible—especially those investing in a deck addition. However, it’s important to keep in mind larger surface area also incurs more cost.
Accessories & Additional Structures
There are a variety of accessories you can add to customize your deck addition. The following options can be built into your deck for ease of use and added stability:
- Storage space
While many of the accessories above can remain freestanding and unattached to your deck, including them with the structure can reduce damage from severe weather (primarily wind) and theft.
Evaluate your house for deck addition https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/evaluate-your-house-deck/
Deck Building tips that really pay off https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/deck-renovations-that-pay-off/
Deck building – what will be your return on investment? https://www.remodelingcalculator.org/building-new-deck-return-investment/